Re: university of miami, fla.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on January 18, 2002 at 23:09:36:

In Reply to: university of miami, fla. posted by Jeremy on January 18, 2002 at 20:56:59:

I'm not a student or graduate of Miami but I know John Olah really well. John is a pretty great teacher, he has all the credentials and training you would expect from a 1st class teacher, and he has lots of professional playing experience both before he came to South Florida and since. He is the first call substitute for me in the FPO. In addition to all that, he's a pretty amazing solo player as well. I would encourage you to at least contact John and talk to him about your interest. The only downside to John's studio is that Miami is a VERY expensive school to attend. I don't know what scholarship opportunities there are for his new tuba/euph students but total cost at Miami is expensive enough to keep his overall studio numbers relatively low. To get a feel for how things are from a student's perspective, contact Melissa Vilches. Melissa was my top high school tuba student last year and she decided to attend Miami starting last fall. If you search the archives, you'll find posts she made that also contain her email address. She would be good to talk to about the current Miami experience.

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: