Re: poor thumb :(

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Cliff on January 19, 2002 at 16:16:28:

In Reply to: poor thumb :( posted by Kyle Cabral on January 18, 2002 at 23:29:25:

I have a similiar problem...but I'm not sure that the causes will be the same. My problem is due to carpal tunnel syndrome . I don't who else has this, but it very painful. Before I had the surgery on my left hand, I couldn't write, shave, tie a tie, or anything. It started as an intermittent thing then progressed to all the time. I certainly hope that isn't the cause of your trouble. Now I am getting the numbness in my right hand as well and it manifest itself when I play. For me the only answer is to stop for a little while. If this is your problem, then just stopping probably isn't an option (right in the middle of rehearsal!!). If I forget to take my watch off, the problem seems to develop quicker. I have found that relaxing my hand during rest in music helps greatly during an ensemble practice. The only ensemble playing I get is a community group and it affords plenty of rest opportunities. BTW, if you do have carpel tunnel syndrome, I would think twice about the release surgery. It is only temporary, and isn't very pleasent to go thru. I don't mean to come off as a doctor, but it may be something to look into.

Follow Ups: