Re: Brookmays Prices

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rob P-M on January 20, 2002 at 08:32:57:

In Reply to: Brookmays Prices posted by Anthony on January 18, 2002 at 21:46:21:

Y'know, the great thing about our economic system is that if you don't like how one seller does business, you can always find another more to your liking. The other seller may not be as conveniently located to you, and there may be other differences. Indeed the seller you don't like may well have factored the cost of going elsewhere into his prices, setting them just a little bit below the point at which you'll get on a plane or drive a long distance to buy that big ticket item like a tuba.

There are two reasons why a person would buy an instrument from the local high priced store: ignorance (i.e. a lack of information about products, prices and availability) or convenience (i.e., all things considered, it's cheaper and easier than the next best alternative). Ignorance is usually what brings the parental first time buyers in, but for professionals, including band directors buying for their schools, convenience is the only legitimate reason. (We'e heard about kickbacks and the like, 'free' repairs etc., but that's just criminal).

What convenience means in economic terms, is your choice is whether to let the local guy capture almost the entire consumer surplus (what economists call the difference between the lowest obtainable price of an item and the highest price you'd pay for it) or expending the consumer surplus by the cost of going elsewhere.

If enough people would rather drive/fly to Baltimore Brass, Brasswind, Tony Clements and/or Dillon Music (listed in alphabetical order to play no favorites) than pay a premium price to the local store, then the local store has two choices: stop carrying tubas or lower the price. Some of them will lower or match prices. Many stores don't carry tubas and only order them (at list), no surprise.

I've already written below of my own experiences, for me going with the good guys on price and the good guys on service has been neither a conflict nor a problem. Going to the local high price shop has ceased to be an alternative. Even for music, while I go local if things are in stock, ordering anything not locally in stock takes forever from the local guys, a day or three form Robert King or Portland Sheet Music.

Follow Ups: