Re: Who makes a livin' on their small horn?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by js on January 20, 2002 at 18:40:05:

In Reply to: Who makes a livin' on their small horn? posted by just wonderin' on January 20, 2002 at 17:48:30:

' haven't owned a CC for quite a while, but don't intend on being without one forever.

If I scaled down to a more modest abode and put all of my kids back in public schools, the money that I make each year off of playing my small (actually fairly large F and an EEb helicon) tubas would pay the bills - though our family lifestyle is modest.

personal applications (per your inquiry):

- church orchestra gigs...A large tuba's decibel capabilities are not required when balancing with a church choir, and sometimes the "thick" sound of a large contrabass interferes with choir clarity even at mezzo volume levels.

- Christmas gigs (Nutcracker, etc.)...contrabass tuba rarely needed, often down in the pit anyway, and "Who cares?".

- "pops" concerts...Again, the top-end volume level between a well-played (and easy to play) F tuba and contrabass tuba is usually not an important issue to consider here. Often, an F or EEb tuba will blend a little better on pieces with a "rock" beat on low loud stuff.

- many symphony orchestra concerts...Even with low loud parts in some pieces, often a bass (EEb, F) tuba is preferred or certainly does just fine. (Stravinsky, R. Strauss, Berlioz, Saint-Saens, Brahms, most Wagner, Franck, Mendelsohn,...This list would be endless.)

- Broadway shows in the pit...smaller tubas physically fit better in crowded situations and make plenty of noise. (They are already having to individually mic the singers on stage, anyway.)

- brass quintet stuff...Almost always, a bass tuba will do.

- solos with bands...Bass tubas often offer more agility and clarity.

- jazz/ethnic..."Straight ahead" jazz is easier on a (often EEb) smaller tuba, as is "traditional" jazz...and polka stuff, though some players use contrabass tubas in these media.

contrabass tubas:

- if one needs a really thick, rich, or very very loud round sound on pitches well below the staff

- if one's EEb or F tuba has some response problems which disqualify it from certain uses.

Joe "I'm really not thinking about trying to 'make [my] living' playing any tubas" S.

Follow Ups: