Re: european tubas+ American(style) tubas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lew on January 21, 2002 at 10:31:35:

In Reply to: european tubas+ American(style) tubas posted by ill informed tuba on January 21, 2002 at 09:00:52:

This is a very good question, and one for which I haven't seen a definitive answer. The first tubas made by Wieprecht and Moritz in around 1835, were "very compact but rather heavy... [with] a wide conical bell section with next to no flare." (Baines) Later French instrument makers, most notably Sax, made instruments with tall, narrow bells. The mid 19th century was a period of quite a bit of experimentation in the design of brass instruments. I have seen examples of both tall narrow "tubas" and short wide tubas from the 1860s and 70s made both in Europe and the US.

It seems to me that the adoption of large bell tubas really took hold in the US in the late 1800s with the growth of the brass band here. Outdoor concerts became commonplace and maybe bass/tuba players were looking for a fuller sound for thsoe outdoor venues. In the U.K., where they still have a very strong Brass Band tradition, tubas also usually have a shorter bell, although the bell flair tended to be narrower. This is just speculation on my part. I'd be interested in hearing from someone who has a documented explanation.

Follow Ups: