Re: BLAST!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dave on January 22, 2002 at 02:03:20:

In Reply to: BLAST! posted by Eric S. on January 21, 2002 at 21:09:58:

I'd have to say that overall, the show's very accessible to people who don't know a whole lot about DCI and such. The staging was tight, as was the sound reinforcement. I recognized at least one member from the PBS special - featured percussionist Nick Angelis. Some pretty amazing snare drum playing. They did some interesting visual things with lighting that weren't on the special, so it's not a total retread (although 75% of the show is the same). I haven't been to see much "performance art" (Stomp, Riverdance, Blue Man Group, Cirque de Soleil, etc.), so I honestly can't say how this show stacks up.

If it's the same troop that toured through SoCal a few weeks ago, they're a little short on tubas compared to the PBS special (four as opposed to nine). They marched those little 3/4 Yamahas instead of contras and 4/4 piston horns - wouldn't have been my first choice.

I guess you should just take it for what it's worth - a little over-exaggerated at times, visually engaging, loud and enthusiastic.

FWIW...

Follow Ups: