Re: PT-16 Fingerings

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bin Love on January 23, 2002 at 21:37:44:

In Reply to: PT-16 Fingerings posted by Charles Jackson on January 23, 2002 at 15:08:35:

I assume you are asking about the low register because of the 6th valve (my valves are set up to be 5 = flat whole step and 6 = flat half step). I have had success with the following. Starting at the f just below the staff and moving chromatically down:

F - 0
E - 2
Eb - 1
D - 12
Db - 23
C - 4
Cb - 235
Bb - 45
A - 456
Ab - 345
G - 2345
Gb - 23456
F - 0

Once I got used to it, the 6 valve set up is much less cumbersome that I had expected. Above that I use all of the "standard" fingerings. The only note that has seemed unexpectedly out is the Db in the staff - it is pretty flat, so I may end up getting it cut. BTW, my PT6 had the same problem on the corresponding note, Ab, and cutting it did wonders.

Bin Love

If the left hand is giving you problems, my teacher recommended the following temporary procedure. Tie a string from the back of the lever on the 5th valve to the thumbring. If the string is sufficiently taut you should be able to activate the valve using your right thumb. That way, if you are ever playing with a group and get disoriented (and that is easy at first) you can default to your normal fingerings while you get your bearings.

Follow Ups: