Its not the horn its the player right?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Doug on January 23, 2002 at 23:36:22:

Okay, so there's a trumpet player in my band, who I shall call for right now Tim (not his real name)

Tim owns a Bach Omega Bb Trumpet. Seems like a good horn. Tim thinks he is really good, but beleives he could be "better" if he had a Bach Strad. Sad part is, Tim is not very good at all.

Now, I returned from an event where I saw a REALLY good trumpet player. I looked once and saw him playing on a silver trumpet of some sort, and the next minute he ws playing on what looked like a C trumpet (you know, less tubing, therefore educated guess). Said "C" trumpet appeared to be either a really dark laquer or gold finish.

Well, i tell Tim about this guy, and based on the above information, Tim now thinks, and tells people, that this guy had "a matching set of a silver Bb and a 24 kt gold-plated C Bach Strads." Obviously, to Tim, the guy sitting first chair in the honor band must be there because of his exquisite set of trumpets.

I figure its just because he practices a lot and studies privately and makes an effort to be good, something Tim never thought of.

Meanwhile, while Tim raves and rants about how he needs a Bach Strad to be any good, we've got a sophomore who is playing his all state audition (something Tim is not going to) quite well on the Yamaha beginner trumpet he got in 6th grade.

The moral? I guess it must be the player, not the horn, that makes you good.

I guess i knew that all along, just now i can prove it.

Sorry to clutter the board with my rantings

Doug "ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!" G

Follow Ups: