Re: Howcum?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Philip Jensen on January 24, 2002 at 10:33:45:

In Reply to: Howcum? posted by Chuck(G) on January 23, 2002 at 20:34:17:

I'm considering the fiberglass option as we speak. I've got an 1910 King in the shop right now missing the bottom bow cap and am considering options. The bottom bow has seen it's share of dents and has a number of samll patches. The outer branches and bell are made of thinner metal than I'm used to (read very dent prone). The repairman said he could take all the dents out but would likely end up putting new holes in it, which could be covered up by a new bottom cap, If he could find a replacement and even then would be a royal pain to get to fit.

So I'm considering the fiberglass route. I figure something along the lines of a shin gaurd kinda deal with straps to take on and off. I am considering making a cast of the bottom bow to make a pattern to make the gaurd on, rather than do it on the tuba itself.

I was thinking of protection only, but now I'm wondering about sound effects. Unfortunately the repairs are being done long distance (horn -MI, me -PA) so I can do a lot of testing. I did get to honk it at Xmas time for about 1 hr after finally getting a replacment for the missing tuning slide. The sounds was very encouraging.

I'll leave the decision up to the Sages of the board. Replace the bow gaurd or not? (I am pretty fussy about horn handling) Make a fiberglass replacement? (probably larger than the original metal one, and detachable). Any other thoughts?

I can email pictures of the bottom bow if anyone is interested, maybe I'll put them on my website.

Thank you once again

Philip "just about dying to get then horn from the shop" Jensen

Follow Ups: