Re: Mouthpieces, kind of long

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tom Mason on January 25, 2002 at 10:39:32:

In Reply to: Mouthpieces, kind of long posted by Jim Haskell on January 25, 2002 at 08:58:37:

I am a fan of Doug Elliott mouthpieces. I also realize the prices of mouthpieces are rising even as we speak.

I prayed long and hard before buying my first D.E. for my bass trombone. As I performed at the International Trombone Association in Nashville last summer, I took the step, and sought his ear and advice at his booth. I was in search of a setup that would allow me to switch from bass bone to tuba without as much adjustment in embouchure. In the 20 minutes he was able to spend with me, he was able to hear things I couldn't in connection with my sound focus. The direction I wanted to go in was half right. I needed a little wider rim and cup, but not the wider backbore. He set me up with what worked.

I am returning to ITA this year with my tuba for the same kind of help.

If you are not able to afford the Doug Elliott, then get his catalogue and see what your setup compares to in the stock mouthpieces of other manufacturers. If the price is scary, but managable, then the D.E. setup will save you time and money in the long run if you consider the idea that you might end up spending as much on 3 or 4 other mouthpieces that end up not working for you.

I now use the conn helleberg, full size. It has a narrow rim and medium large cup. Focus is usually a little harder on this one for the first time user, but as one gets more acquainted with it, the lower notes work better. I sorta think you might be better off on a mouthpiece with less cup depth and maybe a thicker rim. My experience only, but maybe this will help. It also depends upon the model of the tuba being used.

Sorry this so long, but there it is.

Follow Ups: