Re: How to practice improvisation?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by vlf on January 27, 2002 at 01:00:43:

In Reply to: How to practice improvisation? posted by TubaKitten on January 26, 2002 at 15:47:58:

If you would like to improvise on your tuba, just do it. You do not need books to teach you how to improvise. If you learn to improvise from a book or by imitating the masters, then tecnically I think that would be rehearsing and memorizing. Not improvising.
The greatest jazz musicians{Diz, Bird, Mingus Miles, Monk, etc...)did not read a book about improvising because they were playing music that had never been heard before. They tried things that had not been done and eventually found a voice of their own.
I recommend that you get comfortable with your tuba, take a big deep breath, and let whatever comes out happen. If it sounds horrible keep playing 20 min later you may be in a musical world you have never been before. The idea is to get the ideas in your head to flow freely on to your instrument as you think of them. The instrument is an extension of your thoghts and feelings. Yoyu do need to be technically proficient to achieve seamless translation of thoughts and feelings to your instrument. But that is a different type of practice(scales etudes, etc..) If you want to improvise well listen to the people you are playing with and listen to your self. Don't worry about what note some guy played over a G7 chord 30 years ago, Think about what you are playing right now. does it sound good? does it make you happy? Let your ears read the music.

These are just my opinions.
practicing improvisation is an oxymoron ,i'm just a regular moron

Follow Ups: