Re: Re: Re: Re: what was the first horn you played?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Dedman on January 27, 2002 at 18:20:36:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: what was the first horn you played? posted by Billy M. on January 26, 2002 at 22:49:17:

In some cases, yes. But remember, I was an average-sized 14-year-old trying to hold and play a big recorder-belled behemouth. Also, the Conns in question were, I believe, 1950's vintage school horns, and I made the switch to the 641 in 1983. The cases weren't even utilized until I found a complete (and functional) set in the top of the percussion storage room. The horns sat in a wheeled wooden rack in the back of the band room where thay made convenient targets for waste paper, pencils, marching shoes, or the occasional conductor's score. Two of the four horns weren't playable. Of the other two, the best one stayed at school and the lesser of the two went home (in the aforementioned set of cases) as a practice horn. Simply put, I switched more for logistics and ergonomics than anything else. I swear those old Conns were actually brass-plated cast iron. Only 3 valves, as well. It wasn't much of a loss; I made all state on the Yammie.

SD

Follow Ups: