Re: King 1241 vs. 2341

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on January 27, 2002 at 21:51:12:

In Reply to: King 1241 vs. 2341 posted by Just Curious on January 24, 2002 at 17:42:45:

The 1241, as Ken says, has a fixed top crook instead of the moveable tuning slide on the newer 2341. The 1241 also has double-looped upper third-valve tubing as opposed to the single-looped arrangement used later. It may be that the 1241 has a little less flexibility in tuning valves, owing to slides being a hair too long to allow much adjustment range. The lack of an upper first-valve tuning slide seems no fault of this horn as it doesn't seem to need tromboning of the first-valve slide. These are the only differences I noted.

Of course, the new 2341 which just came out is different from previous 2341 models. It does not have interchangeable bells, and is also is wrapped differently with a shorter, smaller bell. (Warning! Opinion follows!) The new 2341 is supposed to be some kind of wonderful, but I will say that I've played three, and liked one. The other two were fine, but didn't glow in the dark, and I've played a number of older 2341's and 1241's that I liked better. Strangely (because I can't 'splain it), the one I liked was a lacquere brass version, and the two I didn't like as much were satin silver.

Rick "whose uncle's 1241 seems better than a brand new 2341 tried at the Army conference" Denney

Follow Ups: