Re: Priority and Practicality: F or CC?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joseph on January 29, 2002 at 08:12:56:

In Reply to: Priority and Practicality: F or CC? posted by Anthony Labelle on January 28, 2002 at 21:57:34:

Without engaging the actual question of whether to purchase an F or CC tuba first I have the ideal solution. Call up Dillon Music and purchase their used MW32 CC and MW182 F tubas. I love my PT-6 and PT-15, will never sell them, and was very lucky in the circumstances that lead me to be able to own them but if I owned those two MW tubas I would in no way feel like I was missing out on something. I think the 32 is a better horn than any of the 2XXX series and offers a lot more versatility in terms of sound. Great ensemble horn that can really pack a wallop *AND* a great quintet horn- tons of agility at your disposal. I fell in love all over again with the MW32 this last week(I learned CC on a MW30) and really wish I could afford to add one to my collection. The 182 is the only F tuba I've found with a more lyrical singing sound than my PT-15. Great solo horn and would also do wonders with Berlioz. Also, the easiest playing horn I've ever put to my lips. You will have to decide for yourself whether it would work well for you in quintet. It would probably fill in very well when the bass voice in quintet is written for trombone.

The great news is that you can have both horns and still have cash left over to find the right mouthpieces and buy gig bags or hard cases.

buy those horns and have a blast!
joseph 'who is unusually confident with this advice: that this combo of horns would work well for most anyone regardless of their budget' felton

Follow Ups: