Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Besson CC

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on January 29, 2002 at 11:09:28:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Besson CC posted by Rick Denney on January 29, 2002 at 10:50:28:

None the least you were right in the sense, that shortly after the two tuba makers joined the same conglomerate back in the early nineties, Mein-Weston clearly took up a function as consultant for the B&S/VMI business.

Not in the basic revision of the successful older models, but in rationalising some steps of the production. And in navigating the free market.

B&S always had good rotary models. And at least in my country their prices were remarkably low. Giving them a sharp edge in especially F-tubas and Hoyer French horns.

After the wall fall B&S faced hard times, because they had to pay wages closing up to the west German level. And as they no longer were part of the GDR "Devisenbeschaffung" (currency generating stystem), they had to sell at above cost prices.

I am glad that the Saxonian instrument making tradition has survived, now augmented with piston instruments of a relevant quality. But I would not have owned my four samples of that tradition, had they not been aquired at the old price level.

Klaus

Follow Ups: