Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Copywright Information

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on January 29, 2002 at 12:52:21:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Copywright Information posted by Mark Wiseman on January 29, 2002 at 11:46:29:

Well, sure enough, there it is. It appears to be a modification of the 1978 Copyright Act to bring that act into substantial compliance with the Berne Convention (thus, it is part of the Berne Convention Implementation Act of 1988, or something like that). I didn't see any reference to a 1972 date, however, though I didn't look beyond the link Mark provided. I'm sure it's in there somewhere.

This explains why I didn't see it before--I had read the 1978 Copyright Act back when I published music as a sideline (which was in 1987).

The "P" stands for "phonorecord" and protects only the sounds on the recording. It has no application beyond protecting those sounds on the recording. The underlying music is still copyrighted, or not, and the performer, record publisher, and performance venues (including radio stations) still have to do the ASCAP and BMI thing. Transcribing a recording would still be a violation of the copyright on the original music, if they exist.

Everything else I said about the music itself, as it is printed, still holds, and was renewed in 1992 as the Copyright Renewal Act.

Rick "who now knows more" Denney

Follow Ups: