Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: York replacement

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on January 29, 2002 at 13:12:57:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: York replacement posted by dp on January 29, 2002 at 12:58:47:

Dale, the first and third valve branches have upper and lower slides on the YM. The fourth valve branch is on the back of the instrument, with only a lower slide (and a big one at that--can you say "open wrap"?).

The main tuning slide on the YM is out the bottom of the fourth valve, like most current piston tubas, but unlike most (all?) Marzan tubas. I have seen a reproduction of a catalog cut sheet (in Donald Stauffer's Treatise on the Tuba) of the B&M 5500 BBb, and it was identical to the YM in the position of the main tuning slide. The fourth-valve branch was mostly where the fifth-valve branch is on your converted B&M, and not on the back as it is on mine.

So, apparently there are variations on 5500's, which is why I was curious to see pictures of Art's. These variations may well have been inspired by B&M's involvement with Marzan, which means that my YM probably predates that involvement, as does the catalog graphic shown in Stauffer's book.

Of course, the lower slide on the first valve is required by the longer tubing, otherwise the upper slide would be unreachable, as it is on the Willson 3100 (which has no lower slide loop). I little more open wrap might be nice, but a little scooping of the slide edges by Matt seems to have evened up the response on all the valves in any case.

Rick "who shudders at the thought of cutting his York Master" Denney

Follow Ups: