Re: what was the first horn you played?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rob on January 29, 2002 at 23:36:44:

In Reply to: what was the first horn you played? posted by Mark F. on January 26, 2002 at 00:32:38:

The first tuba I played, in elementary school in the '50s was an old (probably '30s) Conn Eb top action valve upright. I never knew the model number, heck I wasn't even aware of model numbers then... it was a tuba. I really don't remember much about the horn other than it was easy to play.

My next horn was an ancient (19th century) Besson BBb 3 valve top action in junior high. And sometimes a 1920's Conn 3 valve top action upright (big bell 22"). Both were actually quite decent instruments, though the Besson looked like it had been through the Blitz. Then as our school moved (due to a collapsing ceiling), we got an Olds 3 valve sousaphone in a chair. Adequate horn, I guess, but without the tone color of either the Besson (so distinctive that 40 years later I could identify a Besson blindfolded) or the Conn.

My first 'real' horn was my high school's 4 short action valve BBb Conn sousaphone (24K?) which is the only one I've ever seen and must have been a special order. One of the best horns I have ever played - spoke easily in all registers, easy to hit the pedal notes, played well up above middle c, couldn't be overblown, yet could play pianissimo and played pretty much in tune. I sure wish I had that horn today, but it seems to have disappeared into the mists of time.

Then I had an Alex BBb with 5 rotary valves and better intonation than any other Alex I've ever played. Typicaly Alex sound. Another great horn, which I have always regretted selling when I stopped playing seriously in the 70's.

It's all been downhill from there.

Follow Ups: