Re: Re: Conn 56J-vs-Getzen G/CB-50

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Anthony Mason on January 30, 2002 at 01:13:16:

In Reply to: Re: Conn 56J-vs-Getzen G/CB-50 posted by Rick Denney on January 28, 2002 at 16:25:02:

I just wanted to say that I am a college student in New York and I play on a Getzen G-50 CC tuba. I am only a freshman, but I have found the G-50 to be a great all-around horn. That's only my opinion. True, it's not quite suited for heavier pieces like The Fountains of Rome or Symphonie Fantastique (i.e. the big run toward the end of the 5th movement, leading up to the high Bb). However, if any of the above mentioned pieces HAD to be played on the G-50, then the horn will play them just fine (assuming you had the chops). You'll have to work a bit to get the notes you want to speak clearly, but it can be done. My point is that either way you slice it, the G-50 can produce great results for any specific register. On top of that, the sound (esp in the upper register) stays clear and open. I have been playing on it for over two years and although I'm ready for a larger horn and an F tuba, the G-50 has saved me a lot of trouble being nicely set in middle of the road for many pieces. As far as seeing a Getzen tuba anywhere, I have yet to see a guy or gal playing on one, so I am assuming that they are becoming a little less common, but I wouldn't seriously know that for a fact. Hopefully, you could back me up on that one. :) But, as my teacher says, the Getzen G-50 is a great starter CC tuba for those just getting to know the horn for orchestral usage. I would recommend the G-50, and the Conn as well as starter horns for new tubists with orchestra related goals. True, the Conn didn't have that nice, round sound that the G-50 produced (my opinion), but it's still a great horn. I guess I just wanted to give a little feedback to what you were saying. I hope any of this info helps. If not, then just ignore the little "freshie" who knows nil and listen to your elders. :) Keep practicing!!!

Anthony Mason

Follow Ups: