Re: orchestra players in marching band

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tom on January 30, 2002 at 18:20:35:

In Reply to: orchestra players in marching band posted by Tom on January 29, 2002 at 14:53:54:

Here are my experiences with marching band, etc.

I went to h.s. in Texas. In Texas, marching band is almost as big as football, and thus becomes a necessary evil.

In h.s. my band was always between 200-250 people and marching was not an option. If you wanted to be in the band, you marched. I have to admit that I didn't really mind it that much. Yes, there were times that I would have rather gone home our out instead of going to marching band rehersal, but I stuck with it and ended up enjoying it much more than I thought.

It is quite possible that I had an unusually good marching band experience; you decide:
We marched at all of the regular and post season football games, did two parades, and three marching contests. Our contest shows were unbelievable. We always had a drill of between 70 and 80 sets, original arangements (not "over the counter marching arrangements), and interesting "visuals." After marching contests were over, we always did at least one other drill. These were not nearly as long as the contest shows, but usually had good music, rarely heard in a marching band enviornment.

I would like to present another idea on the subject of marching band:

A lot of kids (at least at my h.s.) would have dropped band had it not been for marching. Yes, these are usually the same people that complained about it, but to them marching band served as a social outlet. This allowed for more bodies on the field, regardless of if they played well, etc. And even at the h.s. level, band is optional...if you don't want to march at a place where marching is required, then quit. Marching band seems to weed out a lot of the people that wouldn't ever really cut it in band. Sure, your "state-bound" tuba player may hate marching band, but it is my observation that if a kid is serious about music and being in band, they will make the best of marching band.

And as far as orchestal (string players) and choral musicians in marching band, it should be optional. At my h.s., the band, orchestra, and choir all operated seperately. The orchestra and choir students that wanted to be a part of the marching band were assigned to the color guard unless they were able to play a successful audition on a band instrument.

I don't know if that makes any sense or is of any value at all, but that is my report on the way things were done in my h.s. band program.

Follow Ups: