Re: temporary measure microphone

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Anthony on January 03, 2003 at 03:36:11:

In Reply to: temporary measure microphone posted by Philip Jensen on January 02, 2003 at 17:08:53:

Phil- a lot of people will scoff at this, but it's worked for me. Go to Best buy, and buy a cheap($10-$15) computer microphone. It won't make studio quality recording, but as a temporary measure this is your best bet. You'd be surprised at the quality recording you can do... not great, but good.

I was on my way to a performance of a not-commercially-released tuba concerto and brought my MD-R with me, but couldn't find my mic. On the way there I bought a $15 computer mic... I was surprised at the recording quality! In the 30 minute piece, there's maybe 3 seconds of actual "distortion".. that's with a tuba soloing in front of a full symphony orchestra.

Anyways, that's my low-budget suggestion... if you've got a bit more money, I'd suggest spending $80 on a Sony Stereo mic.. that's what I used until I could afford the ATT-822, and I liked it okay. The sound was precise and crisp, but in a small room it had a tendency to "wolf" on loud attacks. That was before I knew how to adjust the recording levels, though, to it's possibly that I could have fixed it. Best of luck!

Anthony

Follow Ups: