Re: 181 F?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Doug Whitten on January 05, 2003 at 01:36:31:

In Reply to: 181 F? posted by Kyle Cabral on January 05, 2003 at 00:56:18:

I think the Mirafone 181 is a very good horn. But I would almost never recommend a F tuba, any F tuba, as a first horn.

You asked how low it can go... it can be played plenty low, but it just isn't the same as a contrabass (CC or BBb). F tubas are great and quite versatile, but you'd really be better off getting a contrabass first, then, after having a very thorough mastery of tuba playing, you should consider purchasing an F tuba.

As an analogy, trumpet players all master the Bb trumpet first, then begin acquiring and playing other exotica (C, Eb, F, D, Piccolo, flugelhorn, etc.). Similarly, tuba players need to master the tuba on a BBb or CC, then look toward EEb or F tubas as a way to expand thier musical palette.

My advice for someone about to enter college is to talk to the tuba professor at the school and see what is expected. 9 times out of 10, the professor will want you to get a good 4/4 (or slightly larger)contrabass tuba. Some will strongly urge you to buy a CC, while others will leave that choice up to you... but I sincerely doubt any professional tuba teachers would suggest a bass tuba as a primary instrument.

Follow Ups: