Re: Re: Miraphone 180-5V F tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joseph on January 05, 2003 at 02:23:32:

In Reply to: Re: Miraphone 180-5V F tuba posted by js on January 03, 2003 at 00:32:17:

I think they're a bit oinky by todays standards but as Joe S. pointed out Mr. Bobo managed to sound quite good on one despite what *I* think is a relatively limiting horn.

To my sensibilities the sound is inflexible and oinky as stated already. The intonation isn't all that great but is readily workable without going into too much histrionics. The intonation problems I encounted are likely ones that most people would find easier to deal with than the ones typical of modern oversized Fs. Response is nothing like what you will find on the newer oversized Fs. For lack of a better term I would call it 'old fashioned' response(stuffy in the sense that it really is stuffy rather than some Fs that are stuffy because they are more open than some can readily handle). The response issue isn't a big deal to get used to and learn to take advantage of but I think that those that are less disciplined in their approach to the horn are likely to let bad habits slip into their playing that will show up on other horns and/or limit their ability to grow on this one.

just my two cents.. perhaps I played a bad one or am just not properly inclined to appreciate what it had to offer,
joseph

Follow Ups: