Re: LIDL AND ALLORA TUBA

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lee Stofer on January 05, 2003 at 20:18:19:

In Reply to: LIDL AND ALLORA TUBA posted by BRUCE EMRICH on January 03, 2003 at 08:21:08:

Bruce,
The Allora instruments are made in Asia, and the Josef Lidl instruments are made in Brno, the Czech Republic.
Josef Lidl was well-known throughout Europe before WWII for his string instrument shop where many string makers were trained, and for his brass instruments, primarily tubas and horns. As I understand it, after the Communist takeover, they were forced into the Amati conglomerate, but since the fall of Communism they have been re-established as an independent, private company, and they are gaining momentum.
I first played a Josef Lidl LBB-701 tuba at the ITEC this spring. It is a 3/4 size BBb tuba, with a .745" bore, 4 rotary valves, Uniball linkage, and a 17" bell. It also has an adjustable thumb ring and a nickel-silver leadpipe. It does not feel or play like any other Czech instrument I've ever tried, probably because of the large bell flare and very tight, quiet valves. Feel free to contact me privately for more information on the Josef Lidl tuba.

Lee Stofer

Follow Ups: