Re: Tommy Johnson's 822 F/CC tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Scott on January 05, 2003 at 21:12:05:

In Reply to: Tommy Johnson's 822 F/CC tuba posted by Curious 2 No on January 05, 2003 at 15:54:12:

Robb did an amazing job on this horn. He is truely an artist (just see Jim Self's Fluba). The horn plays very well and is surprisingly easy to operate. It is heavy, as you can imagine, but does simplify things a great deal. Tommy uses this horn almost exclusively, because there is no need for anything else. The Yamaha can do most everything that is needed in the studios; except in the case of a big, broad sound, for which he uses his Gronitz PCK.

Tommy used this horn on my recital when we did the Bach double concerto. He played the 2nd part, which often goes into a difficult register for F tubas (fingering-wise). Tommy sounded great. His only complaint was that it was difficult to make the phrases because the horn required more air than a rotary F. The phrases are difficult anyways, but the horn only complicated the problem further. Otherwise, it is a marvelous instrument. My only wish is that Robb would bring down his asking price (which is around $4,000-5,000). I'd rather get an old 188 for that price!!

Follow Ups: