Re: Re: Required 5th valve on CC?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on January 06, 2003 at 17:18:20:

In Reply to: Re: Required 5th valve on CC? posted by Mark F. on January 06, 2003 at 01:35:33:

I'm trying to remember which of the Prokofiev symphonies (4? 7?) that has a low C# that is exposed and extended. That work does get played from time to time, as well as others.

My BBb tubas all have four valves, and I use false tones below the low F because I think they sound better. Of course, the reason they sound better is that I can't play them very well at all, and the false tones are easier and allow me to get something usable.

Low F comes up frequently, though, even in band music. I've played next to a fellow who had a four-valve C, and he always struggled with the low F though he could play other notes well (and better than me). He needed to move slides around to make that F happen. I played those low F's for him on my Bb tuba. Those common low F's would be the reason I'd say a C needs five valves and a Bb doesn't for amateurs, but I'm sure that excellent players can manage that low F 1-2-4 and make it in tune.

So, while I think it is possible to manage without the fifth valve, it creates some challenges, and there are times when its lack would be a real problem if the tuba doesn't have good false tones.

Rick "thinking that it all depends on what you are asked to play" Denney

Follow Ups: