Re: Re: Re: Mouthpiece Question

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on January 07, 2003 at 11:21:01:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Mouthpiece Question posted by Carl L on January 07, 2003 at 09:46:24:

The Bach 18 is one of those generic mouthpieces that everyone ought to try before spending real money. It works in lots of situations, and in lots of tubas. Of course, you didn't say what instrument you are playing, but I know that Jay has used the 18 in orchestral settings with a Rudy Meinl. The RM is darker sounding than the Miraphone, however, and the 18 may will give it a bit of color.

As to rims, I don't think there's any overarching theory. If it works, it's right. I played a wide-rimmed 24AW my whole school career, and switched to funnel mouthpiece when I returned to playing some years later. But my sound concept had matured from lots of listening, and I was trying to get a rounder tone. Now, I use mouthpieces with somewhat sharper rims, and I find they give me a bit more flexibility. But I still use too much pressure and the Conn gets to me after a while. Even so, it's still my baseline mouthpiece for comparing tubas, because it is so versatile.

Rick "who warns that his opinions are worth exactly what you paid for them" Denney

Follow Ups: