Re: Rudy piston looks like HB-21

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Another observation on January 07, 2003 at 18:48:23:

In Reply to: Rudy piston looks like HB-21 posted by dennis on January 07, 2003 at 14:24:05:

If I'm not mistaken both horns are based on an old Conn design that interestingly enough Conn no longer produces. I've never heard anyone rave about the old Conns.. kinda odd now that I think about it.

To make issues even blurier.. based on overheard comments and conjecture on my part I've peiced together the following scenario.. Rudy used to be solely distributed by Custom. At the time Custom made many suggestion as to how they may be able to improve their instruments and grab more market share. Rudy would have nothing to do with this.. they were stuck in their ways/traditions. Ultimately Rudy and Custom went their seperate ways. NOW.. many years later Rudy is producing a horn very similar to the HB-21. I don't think this is a coincidence. I think they have finally chosen to take the advice that was offered them so long ago.. the same advice(advice that when Rudy wouldn't take it was then offered to HB) that led Hirsbrunner to create the HB-21.

For all the bad things that float about regarding Custom I think they do deserve a great deal of praise for significantly raising the bar when it comes to the level of quality we expect from our instrument.

What do you guys think.. am I crazy?

Follow Ups: