Re: A hypothetical situation...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on January 08, 2003 at 12:54:46:

In Reply to: A hypothetical situation... posted by Josh Calkin on January 07, 2003 at 23:09:34:

Like most hypothetical situations, this one presents a false choice. I think you'd have to spend 35 years finding the three tubas you describe.

But I'm going to counter the argument that sound is everything. It's a lot, to be sure, but if you are consistently and unmanageably out of tune, you'll never be popular in your ensembles, and you won't get gigs, pro or amateur. It seems to me that those most concerned with sound are tuba players, and I know lots of players (including myself) who have had plenty of performance opportunities--including a few that paid--but who have only a so-so sound.

I agree with Jay about articulation, even (or especially) from the amateur perspective. But assuming it is as hard to fix as your story suggests, then I would place it above sound. If you can't attack the notes in a way that doesn't attract negative attention, you won't get gigs.

So, you have to play in tune, and you have to start the notes in a way that does no harm to get gigs (either pro or amateur). You also need a good sound, but if you can't do those other things, a good sound doesn't matter. I know this is the opposite of the conventional wisdom, but I think we apply tuba-player standards to sound in our reverence for it because we are addicted to that resonance. If we weren't, we'd be following Joe's advice and playing trumpet. Non-tuba-players in the audience, however, don't share our addiction, and though they will subconsciously appreciate a great sound, they will not be put off by a so-so sound, if the note is in tune and articulated musically.

Rick "all of whose instruments are a manageable compromise" Denney

Follow Ups: