Re: buying a tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tom B. on January 09, 2003 at 16:09:55:

In Reply to: buying a tuba posted by Titto on January 09, 2003 at 14:28:43:

I purchased my Canadian Brass (Getzen) CB-50 from David Fedderly. Every horn (at that time anyway) from Baltimore Brass came with a 10 day trial period, which I took advantage of.

My second tuba, an early B&S F tuba called a "Perantucci Model" (not really a PT-10, but close), saw lots of professional use before it came into my hands. It was picked out by Jeff Funderburk for Ted Cox (tuba prof., Oklahoma) in 1984 at Custom Music. It was Mr. Cox's only F tuba until around a year ago when he purchased a PT-15 that Jeff Anderson brought back from Germany for him. Thus, the horn was sold to me in September. I've spent two summers at the OU Tuba/Euph Summer Workshop and had heard this horn in performance many times being played by Mr. Cox, and on occasion, Sam Pilafian and Deanna Swoboda. I drove to Oklahome City one Saturday, picked it up, and turned around and headed home. Knowing the "history" of the horn made me feel confident about my purchase, and when I picked it up I didn't play it at all.

So, in answer to your question, I've done it both ways. The purchase of my B&S F tuba was a little different than your average tuba purchase, but as a general rule, I'd say always try before you buy.

Follow Ups: