Re: buying a tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lew on January 09, 2003 at 17:37:34:

In Reply to: buying a tuba posted by Titto on January 09, 2003 at 14:28:43:

My first tuba that I owned myself was a King 2341 (the older, 2 piece version) that I bought via mail order without trying it out. Frankly I had been away from tuba playing for so long that trying one out at that time would have been pointless anyway. After playing that for about 7 years I decided that I wasn't happy with its response, especially in the low end, and went looking for something to replace it. At that point I spent 6 months trying out as many different tubas as I could before finding one that gave me the sound that I was looking for and the responsiveness that I wanted. That turned out to be a Conn International 97J (actually a Cerveny 786 stencil).

I would still try out tubas from time to time, but was happy with that horn. Then, I tried out the new, 1 piece, King 2341 and decided that I had to have one. Before buying one of them I tried out 6 samples in all of the available finishes and picked the one that for me "spoke" well. So I play tested 2 of the 3 "primary" tubas that I have owned over the years. I also picked up a Conn 22J BAT that I just had to have after playing it in the store.

I have owned, and still own, quite a few other tubas and sousaphones that I bought just for the fun of it, and I didn't play test any of them. On the other hand the most that I spent on any of them was about $700, so I never really expected much.

Follow Ups: