Re: Pan-American Horns

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dan Schultz on January 12, 2003 at 22:29:26:

In Reply to: Pan-American Horns posted by Matt Goosen on January 12, 2003 at 22:00:56:

My experiences with 'cheap horns' on 'that auction' site have ranged from real deals to absolute disasters. I've found that most of the folks that sell on there don't really know very much about tubas. They are likely to tell you things like 'the valves move up and down' and the 'slides are free'... when in reality the valves are shot. Unless you have the opportunity to talk with the seller, be prepared to do an overhaul on anything you buy. You get what you pay for.

I am an amateur and have always played Eb horns. I've had King, Conn Pan-American, Reynolds, Cuesnon, Buescher, and Miraphone horns. None compare to the Miraphone but all are suited for different things. My King recording bell horns are great for Dixieland, as is my Conn sousa. I have a Pan-American sousa that I enjoy playing for outside gigs. You're just going to have to shop around a little and play all the different horns you can before making a decision. Sorry to be so wishy-washy about answering you question. I've tried for years to figure out what I want, and every time I think I've got it, something else comes along.

Your best bet might to check with the repair department of your school system. If your city is too small to have such a thing, try getting in touch with the music department of your nearest large city. If they still have Eb tubas lying around, chances are they will not have a use for them and you could possibly purchase them as surplus. Your odds of getting a reasonable deal will be much greater than fooling around on E***.

Follow Ups: