Re: Need Advice

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lee Stofer on January 15, 2003 at 08:00:35:

In Reply to: Need Advice posted by Kevin Robertson on January 15, 2003 at 06:04:23:

Kevin,
The US Army Band program is truly a wonderful place if you want to be a professional doubler. I know of no other place where I would have been given the time, resources and opportunity to learn to double at a professional level. True, the Army certainly got their money's worth out of me as a tubist, euph. player, bass trombonist and bass player, but I'll always be grateful for the opportunity that others might have called a hassle.

The new Meinl-Weston model 45 BBb that you have there should be all the tuba you need, really. That instrument would be high up on my short list of tubas to cover all occasions.
I'd look to mouthpiece choice and careful practice to make the high range easier. I'd suggest trying a bit more work with the Helleberg, as its sharp rim will prevent you from using too much pressure (for very long, anyway ;^).
A given pitch on euphonium and tuba requires the same air pressure, and vibrations from the embouchure. However, since the tuba requires significantly more air volume to produce the same pressure, I'd suggest making a conscious effort to increase air support in the upper register. Also, on tuba your embouchure has a much larger rim to work with, which will provide less direct support in the high register, so to play in the higher register requires a larger area of muscle conditioning. After you have done the sort of patient, persistent practice that will enable you to play any high-register tuba passage you encounter, then I think you will find that you have "chops of steel" on euphonium.
If you are stationed in the 8th Army Band in Seoul, give my regards to Sergeant First Class Gayle Petrick. An oboist with a great ear, she once accompanied me to the Rudolf Meinl factory while we were stationed in Heidelberg, Germany and helped me pick out the best tuba I ever owned.
I wish you all the best,

Lee Stofer

Follow Ups: