Re: Re: Re: need some help weighing options

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lee Stofer on January 16, 2003 at 07:57:06:

In Reply to: Re: Re: need some help weighing options posted by TubaRay on January 15, 2003 at 17:55:22:

I basically agree with Dr. Sloan and Ray, and would highly suggest finishing some sort of bachelor's degree. Then, I'd suggest that you enlist for one tour of duty in the military. It is a 4-year commitment to active duty, has a lot of benefits, and if you decide that a career as a military musician is not for you, you can get out and get on with your life. In the US Army promotion system, many points are awarded for education. What your degree is in does not matter, as long as you have completed it. I came into the Army with a bachelor's, and found that the degree helped me get promoted rather quickly. While in the Army, I did graduate study, which the Army picked up the majority of the tab for, and then promoted me even more.
Ray mentioned that the military gig would not be like the NY Phil., but how many performance jobs out there are? While in the Army, I got the opportunity to sub with a rather good orchestra, and I was impressed by the fact that the orchestra members' gripes and complaints on the job were nearly identical to those of my comrades in my Army Band. To a large degree, any situation is what you make it.
I'd suggest that you contact your local Army Recruiting station, and ask for the number for the nearest Army Band Liason. This is a person that is on assignment with the US Army Recruiting Command that is a Bandsman. In the southeast US, this is Staff Sergeant Joseph Newby at 2nd Recruiting Brigade, just outside of Atlanta at Ft. Gillem. Joe is a really fine euphonium player whom I've served with twice in Bands, here in Atlanta and in Heidelberg, Germany. Bands are a bit different from the rest of the Army, and SSG Newby's job is to have the latest information on programs and options available to prospective Army Bandsmen, and advise individuals, and recruiters in the field. That's why you should specify that you need to speak to a Band Liason.
All the best to you,

Lee Stofer

Follow Ups: