Fixing up an old miraphone

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by DC on January 16, 2003 at 11:43:53:

I have an old miraphone that needs fixing up. It is a 186 B flat but it is unusual in that it has a removable bell front, and clockwork springs on the valves. The 4th valve is very sharp-B natural is a little flat when figured 1+4 with the slide in and with the 4th slide all the way out f and c are still about 30 cents sharp. Although this tuning gives a good low E flat figured 1,2 +4 I would like to be able to lengthen the 4th valve tubing so that conventional fingering can be used.
I have found a used Upright bell, and a new old stock leadpipe to replace the poor original. I would like to pose a couple of questons for anyone who cares to help.
1) Would it be better to make this horn a one piece upright or make it bell removable with both upright and forward bells. I'm more concered with playing results than looks.
2)The valve action is poor, what can be done to improve the noisy and slow mechanism at reasonble expense.
3) How long should the 4th valve be to be able to tune it to a perfect 4th with the slide in? (so that there is pull remaining to make 1+4 in tune)
4)I price was no object I would have a 5th valve installed. Does any one know what that would cost or have any parts for same?

Thank you,

David Carter

Follow Ups: