Re: need some help weighing options

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Doug Whitten on January 16, 2003 at 13:51:52:

In Reply to: need some help weighing options posted by frustrated tubist on January 15, 2003 at 17:07:54:

I have never met a person who regretted finishing a college degree. Nor have I met many people who don't say that military was beneficial to them... so both are good options. Taking a year off of school is almost always a mistake. 2/3 of students who leave college for "a year" never return to finish.

If you are 19 and have already transferred twice, I am guessing that you have not accumulated a lot of credits. Now may be a great time to look at joining a military band as a way to choose your direction in life. In the military you can often earn a degree while on duty... not usually a music degree, but a degree no less.

Please note, I think you'd be best served by sticking with school. But if you are not happy where you are, by all means look at the military as an option. Transferring again or taking a year off will probably not serve you well. As a person who actively recruits for a university music program, I can tell you first hand that most music schools will not seriously consider a student for scholarships who has bounced in and out of school or from school to school. Why would I invest in a person who will likely transfer out or quit after a year? You are likely not a "flaky" person, but three transfers while in an undergraduate program will raise some eyebrows.

It seems to me, right now, you need to decide your path for the next few years and stick to it. Stay in school, join the military, work at McDonalds, what ever... just do it with conviction. You are not too far into the game to change your path later, but for now, you need to choose a direction.

Follow Ups: