Re: Re: Re: Haufrecht

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on January 17, 2003 at 02:24:37:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Haufrecht posted by Austin on January 17, 2003 at 00:20:57:

Why did you not take the hint from Joe? He knows, probably because he has taken part in a performance of that piece. And it is common knowledge, that the bibliographical information obtainable from a library can be most useful when hunting an item with the purpose to buy it.

I gave a link to the library, that Joe hinted towards. That this library has a limited log-in-time-for-links was beyond me, but my search could easily be replicated.

The outcome would have been:

Title : Symphony for brass and timpani. Music
Author : Haufrecht, Herbert, 1909-
Call Number : M957.H38 S9 1967
Publisher : [New York] Boosey & Hawkes [c1967]
Subject Heading(s) : Symphonies (Wind ensemble)

Description : score (40 p.) and 12 parts. 31 cm.
Additional Notes : For 3 trumpets, 4 horns, 3 trombones, tuba, and timpani.

DBCN : ABB-6131
Holdings :
Location--------------Call Number-----------------Material---Status
MUSIC LIBRARY---M957 H38 S9 1967 Music--SCORES--Available 

A Google search of "Symphony for brass and timpani herbert haufrecht" as the first option takes you directly to:

http://www.boosey.com/pages/cr/catalogue/cat_results.asp?composerid=2999&stype=1
(linked to below)

That page says:

Haufrecht, Herbert: Symphony for Brass and Timpani
Category: mixed ensemble (2 instruments or more)
Information Rental     

Which implies "no-buying". Which in turn brings you back to Joe'S hint towards the library option. Even if you most likely will have to rent the music from Boosey & Hawkes to make a legal performance.

This information has been collected by a person barely litterate in computer use. From a place very far from the University of Memphis. With the starting point being Joe'S very useful hint.

The purpose of this posting is to motivate the plenitude of young and even not so young students to do a bit of footwork themselves. And not always to demand the results delivered chewed and digested on a plate. They might even develop themselves through their own researches. And they might find even more interesting information, than the one they looked for in the first place.

What I do not like with young students, especially the US-variety, is that they only go for the knowledge, that will let them take grades. The only way to take informed decisions, is to know more than you need in any specific situation.

Where I run into problems with information hunting is, when I need the formulas (Bolean?) to narrow down searches. But then I (ab-)use a personal friend, who also is one of the most informed and skillful contributors to this board.

Young people should ask! That is their way to learn!

But when they get wise answers from the masters of this board (Lee Stoofer, Joe S, Jay Bertolet, Chuck(G), and the occasional honk from other true pro's), then they should not dismiss these answers along the formula of "Thank you, but this was not what I asked".

Take these quality answers as a starting point for your own further researches. You most certainly will gain immensely from from developing your reseaching skills.

Do I sound cross? Certainly! I am a retired teacher, and in many ways I am happy as a such one. The number of students worth teaching does not seem to increase.

Flame along! I don't care, because the flamers are the ones, who have not realised, that just got a free lesson. Thereby they classify themselves as ignorable.

Klaus

Follow Ups: