Re: Re: symphonie fantastique

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by er...um... on January 17, 2003 at 10:54:05:

In Reply to: Re: symphonie fantastique posted by tubalion on January 15, 2003 at 14:38:03:

How does one go about responding to such an uninformed remark as that?

I know - how about:

Berlioz wrote the really great parts for that piece for ophicleides specifically because of the raunchy sounds created by the nasty things. If he had had a really NYPO-calibre tubist (like you surely must be) with a Daddy-bought tuba and incomplete education (again like you? naaa...) he would not have given the Dies Ire to it because it would have sounded too big and, well, nice.

Read up on this stuff. This is all documented. He wanted that nasty sound. If he had had access to modern players on big, modern equipment, the piece would have been very different. It is about drug-induced nightmares, and aa recording utilizing period instruments and practices gives real insight into what he was hearing in his head when he wrote the piece.

The study period performance is useful in many ways to someone that is open-minded enough to learn. But I guess that you will not have to ever buy any of them, based on your comments. It would just be wasted on you.

And while you ponder my thoughts, would you hold the tomatos and Super-size my Extra Value Meal for me?

Thanks, sweety...

Follow Ups: