Re: Military Band Question

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dean on January 18, 2003 at 18:32:09:

In Reply to: Military Band Question posted by Matt A on January 18, 2003 at 15:11:44:

Odds of getting into a military band are very good. There is almost always an opening somewhere for your instrument. Do you have a preference for branch?

College loan repayment--Army is best. They will pay up to 65 g's of loans. But only for you, not your spouse. Sometimes you can get college loan repayment from Air Force and Navy, but that usually depends on need... If they really need you, you might get some--like 10,000 or so, no where near as good as the Army.

In the Army, you will go to Basic (about 10 weeks), then to the Armed Forces School of Music for up to 6 months. Considering you have college training, you can get out of the school of music in as little as a month (so I've heard...). During that time, you will "re-audition" several times--basically the Army's test for musicians, and you are rated on a 0.0-4.0 scale. At the end of school, your rating, and the Army's needs determine where you are stationed.

There are a few levels of Army bands... There are premier (best), MACOM (next best), and regular bands (or post bands, field bands, whatever they are called...) I was planning to go to Ft. Monroe, VA--a MACOM band. I auditioned there in person. You see, you WILL NOT have a guarantee of station in writing before you enlist. However, if you go to a MACOM band and audition personally, they may be able to set you up with a handshake agreement--that assignments WILL send you to a MACOM band after the school of music. Again, this is not in writing, but since I did not take that path, I cant verify that it works. I trust them, though, for my part. Also, remember, even if you get the station you want, that doesnt mean you will still be there through your next enlistment... The Army can move you whever they wish...

The other branches seem to be more solid in assignments--I think if you are Navy or Air Force, you have a better shot at staying in one place for a longer time. But, Army is a better financial situation... It's give-and-take.

Ohh, and work on that sight-reading. In the military test/audition, your prepared piece is %40, scales %10, and sight reading is %50--the most important part. You must score a 3.2 or higher to go to a MACOM band. I would guess that anything lower than MACOM will disappoint you, being college trained, but I may be wrong, I dunno....

Good luck, and email me if you need anything!!

Follow Ups: