Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Military Band Question

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark K on January 18, 2003 at 22:09:27:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Military Band Question posted by MF on January 18, 2003 at 19:48:04:

I was "accepted" into the Marine Corps MEOP (music enlistment option program) out of high school. I was told very, very few people out of high school make it...that may have been true. However, while going through initial processing at San Diego, CA MCRD I overheard something that really (AT)#$!#(AT) me off. Prior to heading into the dentist's office, recruits were being asked if they could play a musical instrument. They were hurting so bad for musicians (or so it seemed) that they would take anyone that could read a piece of music. If that wasn't bad enough, they asked me the same thing!!! I politely told them I could hold my own on the tuba. I had to give them a 5 minute dissertation on why I didn't need to speak with someone about changing my program as I was already signed up. What a fiasco. It was the worst decision of my life...not because it was so bad, but that it really never did anything for my career but waste years of my life. I could have spent that time doing something productive, rather than spending 6 days/week marching on a 10,000 degree tarmack. If you have the musical skills, go to school and get a night job. It will be physically draining, but more worth your time.

Follow Ups: