MP observations

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Nell Johnstone on January 21, 2003 at 10:31:41:

I haven't done the research to prove it, but it seems as though 3 out of 5 posts concern some aspect of MP selection. Considering that a MP is the interface between horn and human, this is probably normal. A recent experience of mine shows the futility of searching for the "perfect" MP. I had been using a Doug Elliot setup which was satisfactory, but the response seemed slow, and when faced with a program of material in the lowest register I decided to try a PT-50, which was supposed to favor this sort of playing. It did, and after several weeks of successful practise and performance I plugged in the Doug Elliot again. Imagine my surprise that it now worked as well as the PT-50! It proves to me that every dime spent on equipment could probably be better spent on good instruction and much hard work. There's nothing wrong with looking for equipment that works well, but I know that almost every playing problem I have can be solved by long sessions of practise, applying techniques taught by good teachers. NWD

Follow Ups: