Re: 1st 6 measures of Barber's Second Essay

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chuck Jackson on January 22, 2003 at 21:16:48:

In Reply to: 1st 6 measures of Barber's Second Essay posted by Phil Golson on January 22, 2003 at 14:49:52:

Phil,
I played this piece a couple of summers ago. I played the first Gb,F, and E on a small F tuba and used an air attack to hide my sound in the bass drum attack. I also "encouraged the bass drummer to put a little extra on the first note. You can grab a quick breath before the F as it is a phrase ending. If you choose to do it on F, I might suggest practicing the Gb with all the valves down, I had better luck with the resistance and was able to hold the note easier. What bothers me is that the conductor is hearing you too close. By asking you to play too softly, you won't be heard. This would be a huge mistake as the note Gb creates a huge dissonance against the flute solo in F. The resoulution with the bass clarinet is more tonal and due to it's length and having to slur into the E, softer is better. I think it should be heard clearly, albeit softly. F did the trick for me, the rest of the piece is a nice juicy blowfest. You have alot of time to switch horns.Hope this helped.

Chuck Jackson

Follow Ups: