Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Breaking through that Barrier

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bill on January 24, 2003 at 13:30:57:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Breaking through that Barrier posted by Mary Ann on January 24, 2003 at 12:02:09:

Yes, the jaw moves. For me (notice broad qualifier) when I use my jaw to change pitch it is bad. When I let the embouchure do the work everything is easier. The jaw then moves naturally and without thought. Like driving a car, don't think about everything going on, the car will do its work without your thought. The jaw will do its work without your thought. And I probably moved my cheeks and stopped my air also.

Jamie Sommerville is an amazing musician. And horn players have to do things that no sane tuba player would attempt. They play so high in the overtone series, so soft, so loud. (Yeah, we play loud too). I don't think what horn players do relates well enough to what tuba players do. Especially in extreme circumstances. Hell, they're playing F tubas in trumpet range. I think there are things that can be learned and related to all brass instruments, but tuba players don't enter so soft ever. Just doesn't happen. The co-principal horn player in Philly once told me about hearing Rober Bobo play, that Bobo could do anything a horn could, except play as soft.

So to answer your question, the position of the jaw moves to assist in the change of the size of the aperature. However, if this is your thinking, your playing may never be as free and easy as someone that has trained their chops to do the work so the musician can make beautiful phrases, tone, intonation, time, etc.

Bill

Follow Ups: