Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Houston Symphony Cutting Jobs, Salaries

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by dp on January 25, 2003 at 04:04:45:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Houston Symphony Cutting Jobs, Salaries posted by Jay Bertolet on January 25, 2003 at 00:05:32:

Jay, I was working for the San Jose Symphony when they went on their first work stoppage due to no-contract negotiations breaking down. I was also a patron when the players were locked out. AND as an employee as well as a patron I was aware of players who were well-past their prime, and frankly sucked. For YOU to take my comments personally, and characterize them as foolish speculation, is certainly your choice. But to do so publicly makes this topic antagonistic to the point of alienating folks one from another.
An unbending allegiance to co-workers who do not pull their weight is (I suppose) a group's choice, but in the case of a performing ensemble like an orchestra there is no way in hell that other players, regardless of how laudable their intentions, can make up for poor musicians. As a pro YOU KNOW that this can be a problem in ALL orchestras, but you ALSO KNOW that if these players who were "cut" are capable that the personnel manager will call them in for services as often as possible perhaps even favoring them because they took the cut...but ONLY if they are capable players. If anything its foolish not to recognize some value in that.

Follow Ups: