Re: Re: Re: Houston Symphony Cutting Jobs, Salaries

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Fafner on January 26, 2003 at 19:41:32:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Houston Symphony Cutting Jobs, Salaries posted by ray n on January 26, 2003 at 11:29:56:

I would be happy if people got their positions based on merit, and not on whether they are a member of a Union or not. Just because you are a union member doesn't mean you're the best one for the job! I find it very disconcerting that its ok to have a closed shop (i.e. union only) but it is somehow taboo to not allow unions in your shop. Its like the whole horribly failed, and un-Constitutional Affirmative Action debacle. You hire less qualified people based on their color, sex, or whatever else, instead of their merit and work ethic. These musicians, once tenure is acheived, have job security for as long as they want it. Now, I can almost be certain of the fact that the jobs cut from Houston will be young un-tenured musicians. I don't think that is right at all. Make them all re-audition, and then make your cuts. You may find that the people who need to be cut aren't the young untenured players, but the older tenured players who have just stopped caring. Also along the tuba lines, I don't understand what they have to complain about. The tubist in any orchestra doesn't play half the time, but still makes Principal scale? that sounds like a darn good job to me. You don't work as much as the Principal Trumpet Horn or Clarinet, but get paid nearly the same. That sounds pretty good, and i'm not gonna complain that i'm "only" making $63,000 a year. You still have a job. So be happy that you're not totally out of work and on the street. There is no shame in doing what you have to do to survive nd support your family(within the law). If I was out of work, I for one would be glad to get my hands on that $6.00/hr Wal-Mart job that you very aggregiously seem to spurn. I for one don't want my tax money going to pay to pay for anything entertainment wise when national security is at stake. I'd much rather be able to wake up the next morning with my $6.00/hr Wal-Mart job in the Greatest Country on Earth, than to be "content" with myself that I helped put a struggling orchestra back on its horse. Oh and by the way to all you naysayers of the President out there. PULL YOUR HEAD OUT OF YOUR FATTENED LIBERAL BUTTS! can you think of where we'd be if the other guy had been elected. We'd be praying on a rug facing Mecca 14 times a day, and out women would be veiled, and not allowed to speak in public. Or we'd just all be dead.

Fafner

Follow Ups: