Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Houston Symphony Cutting Jobs, Salaries

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on January 27, 2003 at 14:05:07:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Houston Symphony Cutting Jobs, Salaries posted by Joe Baker on January 25, 2003 at 18:40:44:

And it is also true that management committees within orchestras are often composed of local leaders who often have an agenda utterly unrelated to making music, such as getting rid of an administrator they don't like or a musician who snubbed them. Often, these local leaders are much better than the musicians at presenting their case to the public in way that makes them look sympathetic when in fact their negotiations are in bad faith. I've seen this happen in more than one of these situations, and Jay felt it in person. It's hard not to be emotional when you've seen underhanded attacks based on hidden agendas perpetrated by the publisher of the local newspaper who buys ink by the barrel and uses it to editorialize utter fabrications.

At least the Chronicle article was reasonably balanced.

That said, professional symphonies are still a business, and sometimes business has to be hard-nosed. Perhaps the Houston Symphony is indeed a work of art that is being smudged by the hidden agendas of a few bad-faith board members. But it is also possible, and even likely, that cash flow has fallen away and the board members are desperately trying anything they can to keep things glued together.

Remember also that the strongest symphonies are supported at least in part by endowments, and in this time of low interest rates and poor stock performance, endowment income is getting hammered. And I wonder if Enron was a large Houston Symphony donor?

I've been on both sides of this. I've been laid off myself, and I've lost sleep for weeks on end at having to lay off my most loyal employees (no, it is not always the deadwood that goes, even without union influences). I spent the entire year of 1998 trying to keep a sinking ship (the owner had paid some "gratuities" to certain federal employees) afloat long enough for an acquisition to be completed so that we could all keep our jobs.

I grew up in Houston, and my parents still live there. I visit often. Dale is right that the cost of living there is wonderfully low compared to most places (even Dallas, where I've also lived). Hopefully, that fact will help the musicians get through their tough times. Having at times shared in those tough times, I can sympathize with their plight.

Rick "thinking there is plenty of room for both good will and sympathy on both sides of this debate" Denney

Follow Ups: