Re: What REALLY happened in Boston

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on January 29, 2003 at 00:54:06:

In Reply to: What REALLY happened in Boston posted by Douglas Yeo on January 28, 2003 at 23:24:00:

Mr. Yeo, as an admirer of yours on several levels (not just music), I feel it necessary to point out that none of your complaints about the gossip concerning the Boston audition were stated by you first. The regular (and non-anonymous, even if they use aliases) members of this forum have been complaining about the gossip concerning this audition all along. Don't tar us all with the same brush.

In my considerable management experience, and as a someone who has hired without public disclosure people of similarly rare skills, I have found that the one sure antidote for gossip is truth, and the one sure measure of truth is authority. Gossip flourishes when those with the authority of truth persist in silence.

But you can't be a world-class organization (slowly) filling a position that is only available in intervals of decades without enduring public comment. Everyone around here wonders who the next coach of the Redskins is going to be, too, and they are taking bets on how long the current one will keep his position. By "everyone" I mean all those who know nothing, of course. But ignorance doesn't make speculation any less fun, though I agree there is a fine line between speculation and gossip, and this topic crossed it.

Rick "a non-anonymous non-auditioning non-gossiping non-pro who was still (quietly) interested in who won the BSO position" Denney

Follow Ups: