Re: Re: Re: BSO

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Todd Morgan on January 29, 2003 at 13:45:20:

In Reply to: Re: Re: BSO posted by Sean Chisham on January 29, 2003 at 13:08:58:

" In college every audition seemed like an exhibition of self worth(lessness). Playing sure got more fun when it went back to being a hobby instead of a necessity. Hobbiest and community band types might just be the happiest group of musicians out there."

I have the same opinion of tuba playing now that I am out of college, well...at least I'm out of the music school. Music is no longer my life or my career. It is back to being what it was before college....FUN!!! I didn't enjoy college as much as I should have my first time around. I have a degree in music education, but I don't plan on using it. I am now a computer science major at the University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB...go Blazers!!). This career change was quite possibly one of the smartest decisions I have ever made. I am enjoying what I am studying more, and now, tuba playing is more of a joy than a pain. I play in a community band with Kenneth Sloan...excuse me....Doctor Sloan. :) My wife and I have a GREAT time rehearsing once a week and performing at different locations around Birmingham. The music may not be technically, the most challenging music I have ever played, but I enjoy making music out of it.

Before I stray too far from the initial topic, I would like to say that I feel that Mr. Zerkel's approach to auditioning was commendable. I have read and heard many great things about Dave. I'm sorta glad that he didn't win. Now I can hop on over to Georgia some time and get a lesson. ;) Congrats to Mr. Roylance and congrats to all of those who auditioned!

Follow Ups: