Re: 6/4 BBb's

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on January 30, 2003 at 00:00:59:

In Reply to: 6/4 BBb's posted by SHS Tubamaster on January 29, 2003 at 16:04:50:

Definitions mess things up here. The big rotary monsters favored by Europeans are not really the same sorts of horns as the classic American BAT's. The only American-style BAT's (or, at least approximating the classic American horns such as big Yorks, Martins, Conns, and Holtons) that I have seen offered for sale are:

Gronitz PKB--a York inspiration in BBb
Willson 3100--not always called a 6/4, but it probably should be

Price is in the $7000-9000 range, or thereabouts.

If you are also thinking of large, tall, rotary tubas, then there is the Meinl-Weston Fafner, the Rudy 5/4 and 6/4, and the Cerveny 601. These tubas are big, but they get a different sound and effect than the American-style BAT's. Price is in the $6000-8000 range (unless you get the hand-made Fafner, and excepting the Cerveny, which is quite a bit cheaper).

As to difficulty, one of the secrets of the American-style BAT's that have the magic is that they are easier to play, not harder. I'm not sure any of the new tubas have this sort of magic, but I can't speak from personal experience. The easy response is not a hallmark of the big rotary tubas--they traditionally requires lots of air the ability to use it efficiently. The Willson seems to me between the rotary tubas and the heirloom American tubas in the easy-response department. I'd love to try out a Gronitz someday and compare it to my Holton.

Rick "who thinks the CC selection is better in this one category" Denney

Follow Ups: