Re: Re: Re: Re: meinl weston comments

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dan Bradley on January 30, 2003 at 14:15:21:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: meinl weston comments posted by JoeS on January 29, 2003 at 20:59:36:

I agree with JoeS 100%. These are precisely the horns I would have mentioned: the new Conn CC, the Miraphone 186 or 188 are both better and cheaper. Around the same price (or a little more money) are several MUCH BETTER instruments. An HB-1P, 2, or 2P, if you can find a find a good price on a used one, are all tremendously superior, even if you're not a fan of the Hirsbrunner sound. The PT-6 has been etched out a hole for itself as a classic (at least in the number of people winning jobs on them...), and it is much better than the 2155, if a bit more expensive. But I would highly recommend the horns that Joe S. mentioned. Both have much better response, pitch, and are much more comfortable to play. If you are willing to wait, though, the horn to get will be the new Besson 4/4 CC if it ever comes out. It's basically an improved version of the Walter Nirchl 4/4, and it is as good of a CC tuba as any being made now. Besson has had prototypes and talked of releasing it for quite some time. If it ever does happen, the horn is supposed to sell relatively cheaply- I heard $6000-6500. I could be wrong. Just don't waste your time with the 2155.

Good Luck,
Dan B.

Follow Ups: